Sunday, December 12, 2010

Designer Fabric Apron- Free Pattern Included

My upline group had our Christmas party yesterday, and we had a Yankee Exchange Christmas Swap. The criteria for the exchange was to make a homemade or handstamped item that would be valued at $20 at a craft fair.





I decided to make an apron using my Designer Series Deck the Fall Fabric. (#121716) It took the better part of the entire package, but I still have some scraps left over for ornaments and fun coasters.





I have included my simple pattern for the apron. It should be pretty simple to follow, but email me with questions. Next time I think I will include a pocket on my apron. You could also make a fuller ruffle if you want to add an extra strip. There would be enough fabric to do that.

Also, you could include some contrasting trim using the Bigz XL Die Tasteful Trim (#120893) or fun flowers using Bigz Flower Folds Die #115970.


You need 1 package of Stampin' Up! Designer Fabric

1st panel  Stampin' Up! Fat Quarter 28x18”
Cut 2nd panel at 4”, 8” and 12” to create the waistband.
Cut 3rd panel at 2“ and 4” to create seam binding for the sides.
Cut at 8” and12” to create the ruffle. If you want a fuller ruffle, cut a third panel for your ruffle.


Sewing Instructions:

Press all the panels flat before you cut. Cut pieces and get ready to sew. You will need thread, lots of pins and your iron handy as you work.  Press all seams after you finish them for a more finished looking piece. I like to zigzag all my finished seams to give a more finished look when I sew, but that is up to you.  I used a 3/8" seam allowance throughout the project.

Sew the ends on the ruffle together. Pres seam flat. Zigzag the bottom edge of the strip ruffle, and fold 1/2” over the edge making a hem and sew 3/8” from the edge. Press flat.

Sew the top edge of the ruffle with a loose running stitch to gather the fabric. Pull in gathers and adjust to fit.  Pin to the main apron panel and sew the ruffle to the apron.

Sew the waistband strips together on end and press in half. Turn wrong sides together, sew and then turn inside out (This is the trickiest step since the strip is about 2 yards long.)  and press.

To make binding, fold the strips in half, then fold the raw edges in to the center and press flat. Fold the entire strip together and press the binding flat. Pin those strips to the panel edges, and sew to the main panel.

Pin the finished waistband to the top of the apron, and sew to the center panel. Turn the waistband ends inside, and sew. Press all the seams and trim loose thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails